Registration of birth of children born in Russia /Armenia /Belarus /Kazakhstan /Moldova /Uzbekistan to Sri Lankan parents can be registered at the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Moscow. At least one of the parents should be a citizen of Sri Lanka /should have dual citizenship at the time of the child's birth.
The declaration should be submitted within three (3) months of such birth to the Embassy. If registration is to be made after three (3) months and within one year of the child's birth, reasons for the delay of the registration should be stated.
For registrations done after 01 year, applications need to be sent to the approval of the Registrar General.
1. Application for Birth Registration:
• Particulars for Registration of Birth - B144 (Download)
• Declaration of birth within 3 months - Registration B/4 (Declaration of Birth under section 16) (Download)
• Declaration of birth after 3 months – Registration B/6 (Declaration of Birth under section 24) (Download)
* When applying after 03 months a letter should be submitted explaining reasons for delay.
2. Application for citizenship registration: (Download)
3. Letter of Request (Download)
4. Originals of Birth Certificates and Marriage Certificate of Parents with 02 copies each (translations are not accepted)
Note: If one of the parents is a foreigner and the original birth certificate is not in English, a notarized translation of the Certificate into English is required. Further, if the parents have been married in a foreign country and if the marriage certificate is not in English, a notarized translation of the Certificate into English is required.
5. Original of the overseas Birth Certificate of the child with English translation, with 02 copies
6. Travel Documents (Passports) and Visas held by parents to prove legal residence abroad at the time of child's birth with 02 copies each
7. Declaration of applicant's (mother/father) citizenship with 02 copies (Download)
* Declaration that the applicant (father/mother) has not acquired citizenship of a country other than Sri Lanka at the time of child's birth
8. If the applicant is a Sri Lankan citizen by registration, the relevant certificate with 02 copies
9. The original dual citizenship certificate with 02 copies is required if the applicant is a dual citizen at the time of the child's birth
10. If parents were not married at the time of the child's birth an affidavit relating to Paternity and Declaration of Citizenship certified by a Solicitor, is required
11. Relevant Fee (please visit the General Consular Fees section)
Processing time: 03 working days for births registered within one year. However, processing time will be longer for births registered after 01 year as the applications need to be sent for the approval of the Registrar General.
Note: Applicant on all applications should be the same. The Birth and Citizenship Certificates will be issued to the applicant. A letter of authorization from the applicant is required if a representative of the applicant will be accepting the documents together with the representative's original passport).